Saturday, May 19, 2007

Doreen Farley, age 91

Receive this letter today from Mrs Doreen Farley in Swansea:

“I felt I would like to get in touch with you after reading about the reunion at Craig-y-nos hospital.

My memories of Craig-y-nos go back to 1924.
My sister was a patient there and died there on 2nd March 1924.
She would have been 18 years old on the 31st March 1924.
When I visited with my mother ( my Dad died of TB in Talgarth in 1916) there was a young Irish girl in the next bed who was very ill. Her sister used to visit her.
I can remember that my mother always took things for the young girl as she did for my sister.

My sisters bed was close to the double doors which opened out on to a veranda where were beds out in the open with tarpaulin on top of the bed clothes.

For an eight year old like me I couldn't understand it, in fact I thought it was terrible of course in later years I learnt all the reasons...

I hope you don't mind me writing to you have been blessed with a good memory so such things really stand out for me.”

No comments: