Saturday, September 22, 2007

Royden Stead from Clydach, near Abergavenny

"I was at Craig y Nos for about 2 years from 1940 to 1942. I was 2 years old when I was admitted and my family lived too far away and couldn't afford to visit. My father made the journey as often as he could by pushbike!!

Apparently I used to greet him with "I don't know my daddy".
I remember feeling like a stranger when I eventually went home.

Some years ago I met a lady who had been a nurse at the sanitorium, unfortunately I don't remember her name. She asked me if I was one of the poor children or the rich ones. I told her that I had been one of the poor ones! Her response was "Don't worry we tried to look after you and bring small presents for you".
Mon Sep 10 11:02:01 2007
( extract from the BBC Mid-Wales web-site)

No comments: