Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Found in the attic



 

 

Sister Griffiths (centre) with two members of staff

 

I never dreamt when I set out to write a book over a decade ago ago about a children’s TB sanatorium in the Welsh valleys (I spent four years as a child there) that I would still be getting people contacting me in search of their own missing family history.

 

But it still happens on a fairly regular basis. For the book “The Children of Craig-y-nos” is the only record in the world of life inside such an establishment. Thus it is a unique piece of Welsh social history.

 

This morning twenty  photos dropped into my email box from Brian Griffiths, Swansea of his mother, a ward sister on the balcony with a young patient.

 

“ I was sorting out the attic and I came across this big box of photos,” said. Brian. “ I knew my mother worked in this hospital but I have very little knowledge of what her life was like.”

 

Tomorrow I will post the photos and the rest of the story. Meanwhile here is an original photo of the hospital which has not been changed i.e photoshopped.


 

No comments: